12 Non-Obvious Ways To Build A More Inclusive World
Wall Street Journal Bestseller
2022 Axiom Award Gold Medal Winner
What if we could go beyond the conversation about diversity and take real action?
In early 2021, more than two hundred widely respected experts gathered virtually for the world’s most ambitious conversation about diversity. Our aim was to do more than spotlight injustice. We challenged ourselves to imagine how to fix it. The dialogue brought together casting directors, bookstore owners, disabled leaders, healthcare professionals, students, VCs, standup comedians, chief diversity officers, pro gamers, archaeologists, government insiders, startup founders, and even a master puppeteer.
Now for the first time, these solutions are compiled into one groundbreaking volume organized into twelve powerful themes including: storytelling, technology, identity, retail, education and more. Each chapter paints a revealing picture of the world, how it is, how it could be and what needs to happen for us to get there. For newcomers to the topic of diversity, and DEI experts alike, this book offers a much-needed actionable blueprint for creating a more inclusive world for us all.
Available in Hardcover, Paperback, Audio Book, Large Print and Ebook formats!
“An urgently needed, eminently practical book that every leader should read which takes on a tough topic with sharp minds and open hearts.”
DANIEL H. PINK,
New York Times bestselling author of When, Drive, and To Sell Is Human
“Beyond Diversity artfully uses the power of storytelling to connect the reader with the lived experience of LGBTQ+ people and other marginalized communities. This book opens eyes, hearts, and minds!”
Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
"Progressive and inspiring ... a book that makes daunting arenas, including those of family, personal identity, and work, feel accessible to change."
FOREWORD CLARION REVIEWS
“A useful, forcefully written, and wide-ranging study of inequities—and how to fix them.”
Founder, Non-Obvious Company
Rohit Bhargava believes the world need more non-obvious thinkers. He is the author of eight books on topics as wide ranging as how to bring more humanity back to business and how to see things other miss. His latest book Non-Obvious Megatrends was a #1 Wall Street Journal bestseller. Rohit's books have won over 30 international awards, been shortlisted for the Leonard L. Berry Book Award and translated into more than 20 languages. Outside of his writing and speaking, Rohit is also an Adjunct Professor of storytelling and marketing at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. He believes in listening before talking and helps his readers to be more interesting.
Founder, Jennifer Brown Consulting
Jennifer Brown is an award-winning entrepreneur, speaker, diversity and inclusion consultant, and author. As the successful founder, president, and CEO of Jennifer Brown Consulting, headquartered in New York City, Jennifer is responsible for designing workplace strategies that have been implemented by some of the biggest companies and nonprofits in the world. She has harnessed more than 14 years of experience as a world-renowned diversity and inclusion expert through consulting work, keynoting and thought leadership. Jennifer is the host of the popular weekly podcast, The Will to Change, which uncovers true stories of diversity and inclusion.
Andrius Alvarez-Backus (he/him)
Writer/Graphic Designer, Jennifer Brown Consulting
ANDRIUS ALVAREZ BACKUS is a content writer, research assistant, and graphic designer at Jennifer Brown Consulting. He is currently studying fine art at The Cooper Union in New York City.
Chhavi Arya (she/her)
Co-founder, Ideapress Publishing & COO + Producer, Non-Obvious Company
CHHAVI ARYA is the co-founder of Ideapress Publishing and the producer of the Non-Obvious Beyond Diversity Summit. She spent 10 years teaching elementary school, pioneering diversity curriculum and programming that was used across Ontario, Canada.
Karen Dahms (she/her)
Senior Research Director, Jennifer Brown Consulting
KAREN DAHMS is a writer, researcher, advocate and change agent for social justice and diversity, equity and inclusion. She is the Senior Research Director at Jennifer Brown Consulting.
Sandhya Jain-Patel (she/her)
Co-Founder, SRC Partners
SANDHYA JAIN-PATEL is a passionate DEI professional devoted to culturally accurate storytelling in media and entertainment. She is co-founder and managing director of SRC Partners.
Kaleena Sales (she/her)
Monika Samtani (she/her)
Co-Founder, The Fem Word
MONIKA SAMTANI is the CEO of Ms. Media and co-founder of The Fem Word. As a media and entertainment professional, building a culture of authenticity is rooted in her work—producing, storytelling, publicity, coaching, and speaking.
Zharia Shinn (she/her)
ZHARIA SHINN (she/her) is a portrait collage artist based in NY. With a BFA from RISD, her vibrant collages defy pre-existing notions of beauty and promote inclusivity of the African Diaspora.
- Watch the full video of Bryan's story - Coming Soon
- Watch "The Labels We Carry" short film
- Beyond Diversity In ... Identity Conversation Guide [PPT]
- See the Non-Obvious Diversity Image Collection (curated in partnership with Getty Images) - Coming Soon
- Beyond Diversity In ... Culture Conversation Guide [PPT]
- The true story of the Mercator map projection
- Download the Non-Obvious Diverse Reading List For Kids [PDF]
- Beyond Diversity In ... Education Conversation Guide [PPT]
- Download the Non-Obvious Guide To Inclusive Imagery [PDF] - Coming Soon
- Beyond Diversity In ... Retail Conversation Guide [PPT]
- Download the Non-Obvious List of Workplace Assessment Tools [PDF]
- Beyond Diversity In ... the Workplace Conversation Guide [PPT]
- See an image of the full billboard from OneLogin
- Beyond Diversity In ... Technology Conversation Guide [PPT]
- Download the Non-Obvious List of Funding Organizations [PDF]
- Download the Non-Obvious List of Professional Networks [PDF]
- Beyond Diversity In ... Entrepreneurship Conversation Guide [PPT]
- Download the Non-Obvious List of Advocacy Groups [PDF]
- Beyond Diversity In ... Government Conversation Guide [PPT]
- Download the Non-Obvious List of DEI Glossaries [PDF]
- Download the Endnotes in Large Print Format [PDF] - Coming Soon
- Download ALL Conversations in one PPT File [PPT]
Have a Question or Inquiry?
All emails will get a response within 24 hours!